Water may be in abundant supply for Canadians, but there are many countries and even some spots in North America that are suffering from drought or without access to clean drinking water.
In order to help do our part and conserve our most precious natural resource, take every step to ensure you are conserving water when possible.
Here are 10 easy ways to conserve water, drip by drip:
- Turn the tap off when brushing your teeth. If your whole family makes of habit of this, it can save up to ten gallons of water each day!
- Collect rainwater by diverting your run off water into a storm barrel. You can use this water for your garden, or to wash your clothes and car. (Just make sure you keep your barrel covered to prevent a breeding ground for mosquitos!)
- Use a modern shower head that uses less water than old fashioned ones. Filtered shower heads have the added benefit of removing chlorine from your shower water.
- Take shorter showers. It can be hard keeping track of how long you’ve been in the shower, so think about purchasing a shower timer to keep your water usage in check!
- Upgrade your toilets with newer models that use less water, such as a dual-flush toilet.
- Insulate the pipes in your home. This will warm water up faster so that you don’t need to run the tap as long.
- Plan ahead when defrosting food by putting them in the refrigerator overnight instead of thawing in water.
- Learn how to use your water meter to check for leaks. If you can’t fix them yourself, hire a professional. Even one leaky faucet can mean gallons of water wasted each day.
- Save your laundry until you a full load instead of multiple half-full loads. If you have an older washing machine, consider upgrading to a more efficient model with cycle options to reduce water waste.
Saving water drip by drip can add up to hundreds of gallons of water saved over time. Mindfulness of water use is important to conserving our resources and ensuring that clean water is accessible for future generations. Switching to filtered water over bottled water is one of the easiest and most impactful way to start conserving water. Start with one of our water filters to save water while giving yourself the gift of quality drinking water!